Sunday, June 24, 2007

Moroccan Muffins


For people who love fruits and nuts, Morocco is a wonderful place. Many fruits and nuts such as almonds are native to the country and Morocco is Africa’s #1 producer of almonds. They also feature prominently in Moroccan cuisine.

I first discovered the country when I was 12 years old and kept very good memories. So for part II of my birthday celebration last year (part I was a wonderful trip to Bamako with my husband Sim. It will be the subject of another blog entry and recipe!), I went back to Morocco with a few girlfriends for 4 days of eating, sightseeing and quite frankly more eating. We were in Marrakech and stayed in a lovely little riad that served delicious home cooking. Every day, we would walk to the
Djemaa el Fna , the Square of the Dead. The square is surrounded by souks that sell fabric, babouches, djellabas, teeth… and more importantly every piece of fruit, fresh or dried; every nut, raw or roasted; every spice that one can dream of. Snack time was always a bountiful time (not that we needed to snack, given how much we enjoyed the homemade tagines made by our hostess back at the riad).

So today, when I felt in the mood for a muffin, I thought to combine warm, colorful memories of Morocco like apricots, peaches and almonds with my favorite spice nutmeg. I translated and adapted the following recipe from a great book of recipes called Muffins et Petits Gâteaux by Suzie Smith (pg 25: Muffins aux pêches et aux abricots). I added the full fat milk (this blog may not be for the health-conscious!), the nutmeg (because I use it in most things) and the cinnamon.

Moroccan Muffins
Makes 4 large or 6 regular muffins


Ingredients
  • 1 ½ cups (235g) of all purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
  • ½ cup (105g) of brown sugar (you can use white)
  • 1 tablespoon of dry yeast
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ cup (60 ml) of olive oil (you can use vegetable oil)
  • ¼ cup (60ml) milk
  • ½ cup (120 ml) of apricot jam (make sure it is one with real fruit, you will taste the difference. If you don't have jam, you can buy canned apricots and puree them in the mixer or use apple sauce)
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (NOT vanilla essence)
  • 1 can (300g) of peaches (or use fresh sliced peaches)
  • ½ cup (60g) sliced/diced/shaved almonds
Preparation
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 180° C (350° F)
  2. Butter or spray a muffin tin ( either a 4-geant-muffins one or a 6-regular-muffin one)
  3. In bowl #1: sift flour, add cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and yeast
  4. In bowl #2: beat the eggs, add oil, apricot jam and vanilla.
  5. Pour bowl #2 into bowl #1 and mix until the dry mixture is all wet. Do not over-mix, you do want a certain coarseness to the mixture.
  6. Add peaches
  7. Fill the muffin tin and leave room since the muffins will rise.
  8. Sprinkle almonds flakes onto each muffin
  9. Bake for 20 to 25mns. The muffin is cooked when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  10. Let the muffins cool down for 1 mn or 2 before serving with tea.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! it looks amazing. Cannot wait to try it. Question: Can i make this in the microwave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried that. I always use the oven to bake but you can always experiment, if your microwave has a baking function. Do let us know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are soooo good. The large chunks of apricot buried in the muffins are as surprising as they are tasty...I think I'll go have another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok... these look yummy!!!! Tell me, what were those muffin-like things we had @ the cocktail dinner, cos I loved them? Is this the same thing? Cos I am about to jump in the kitchen and start making me some!

    ReplyDelete