Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A field of greens from Nigeria


When I moved to Nigeria, I discovered a wealth of greens used in everyday foods. Suddenly it became much easier to increase one's intake of green leafy vegetables. In addition to being good for you, they often were the critical element in bringing together many recipes that would otherwise simply be a mixture of boiled meat with a splash of palm oil.
I describe below three of my favorites (until I discover more):

Ugu Leaf
grows on the vine of a gourd plant cultivated in Eastern Nigeria. It is mild in flavor which is why it features in many recipes such as Egusi soup or Vegetable Soup. Apparently, goats and sheep love it, so it must be good!

Water Leaf
is more temperamental. It quickly becomes slimy when overcooked, makes itself scarce in the cooking process as it releases water. However, it is an essential part of a good Vegetable soup. It brings a tangy flavor and lots of personality to the soup. Water leaf is originally from South America. It is high in vitamin C, E and Beta carotene.

Affan Leaf
mixed with water leaf makes a mean Affan soup. It is nutty in flavor but remains subtle. It's incorporated in its dry form.

I am still discovering the many uses of these greens so I am eager to receive from you any additional information. I will be posting recipes using the greens soon. For some of you, I am certain that these greens grow in your neck of the woods as well. Do leave me comments with their local name and how you use them.

Note: Some information sourced from Practically Edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment